Its been a while! No kidding. Most of it has been due to challenges with mom's health and its effects on her mentally, physically and emotionally. And........ as a result, on me and my ability to get on with what I want to do. She has had a number of small problems, First, a scratch on her leg that got quite infected. Off to the doctor. Tetanus shot, creme and anti-biotics. Seemed to make her quite out of it mentally and physically. That cleared up, then she had a bit of a fall in the bathtub, when she could not quite get herself out. I had to haul her out by lifting her. Seemed to be OK, but 2 days later her right hand was quite swollen, so off to emergency. They diagnosed a small fracture, and a definite sprain. Her arm was splinted and more anti-biotics. Well... talk about problems keeping the splint on. She does not remember the fall nor the reason for the splint. Back to the fracture clinic for a follow-up appointment where she gave her a Velcro splint to keep on for another 10 days. No way!!! At least not for long. So the wrist kept being aggravated. Plus more anti-biotics so the the brain functions were even less clear!
In the meantime, I've gone an bought a bath-lift since she absolutely does to understand that one can take a shower to get clean!!! It must be a bath and only a bath. Very crabby by now. The bath lift is an intrusion to her. She has always had baths and why does she have to have this "thing" in the bath. Oh well!!! At least she is getting a bath and I have a little less to worry about her getting into the bath. It used to scare me to watch how she got into and out of the bath tub!!! Mom has always been quite agile, and she still is. But she is so unsteady on her feet these days and not functioning too well mentally. I also got a wheelchair for her, so that is actually a bit liberating. Has made small walks possible with her holding on to the chair, then when she gets tired (about the distance of 4 houses) she can get in the chair and we can go around the block or what not.
All of these drugs in her system though, have resulted in her getting a nasty infection in her mouth referred to by the medical profession as "black hairy tongue" . The taste receptors grow quite long and seem to feel awful.So much so, that she actually asked to go see the doctor. More drugs!!! This time to kill the fungus that causes this condition. Still cranky, but it seems to be getting a bit better. I hope that's it for a while so that she can enjoy things a bit more. She has been quite annoyed with everything lately, to the point that she keeps saying she should never have left Holland!
More stuff happened which I will recall in another post. I've not been in the mood
No comments:
Post a Comment